The construction of the church in Pörtom started in 1781 and it was ready for consecration in September 1783. The bell tower was built in 1790, and the pulpit was made by Natanael Rönnlund in 1818.
During the 20th century several reconstructions and renovations were undertaken. The altarpiece painted by the vicar's daughter Toini Kallio in 1913 was taken into use. The old altarpiece is stored in the attic.
Several old objects can be found in this church: a crucifix made of oak tree, and a chandelier marked in 1762, from a preceding church in Pörtom.
In summer the church is open to visitors during office hours.